Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Eaten by Grue

You are in an open field west of a big white house with a boarded front door.

There is a small, neglected blog here.


>
update blog_

Okay, so I wasn't really eaten by a grue (although that might not be all bad -- always wanted to know what they look like). That's a more convenient excuse for not having updated in a week than the real reasons, namely being busy and being lazy. Usually in an alternating pattern, those are pretty much mutually exclusive activities.

Last week was a good week for podcasts. In addition to the IGN GameSages 'cast on Monday, Garnett Lee and the gang over at 1up Yours had me on their show on Thursday. I'm a big fan of 1up Yours and listen to it every week, so it was extra gratifying (and slightly intimidating) to actually get in the mix with Garnett, Shane, and Shawn. I got a little insecure about my contribution to the show; it's hard to jump right into a new roomful of dudes and mesh instantly, but hopefully I done 'em proud.

This afternoon I also got to go outside the protective embrace of my house to check out my first game-that-isn't-out-yet in a while, which I'll be writing up for Shacknews, another site I spend too much time on. This will be my first freelance writing assignment, so it's fitting I'm doing it for a site I've been active on in some way or another since it was called sCary's Quakeholio back in like, geez, '96? Anyway, the game is Fallout 3, the impressions are positive, the embargo is Thursday.

Call of Duty 4 and its variety map pack are dominating my game time right now, to the exclusion of entirely new games that go yet untouched. Playing last night, it occurred to me how long it's been since pure deathmatch was a compelling game type in an online shooter -- but team DM is indeed what I play in COD4 the most. (Looking at some quick stats, it seems to be far and away the most popular mode in general.) That testifies to just how damn good the basic run-'n-gun in that game is. The pacing, the feel of the weapons, the hit response animations -- everything it takes to make up basic first-person shooter gameplay -- are all so perfect. I don't think I could ever get tired of it.

If anyone is still reading this blog, what are you playing these days? I feel like I need to branch out a little. Suggest something!

Lastly, if you happened to get a nostalgic jones to play a little Zork just now, here's a good free option for doing that.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad that you are still actively involved in podcasts and games review. I've just finished rainbow six vegas but it feels the same. To me, the best game in this year up to today is Devil May Cry 4. That's the game I would recommend if they haven't played it yet.

DC said...

Heya Brad

I added your blog recently to google reader after waxing idiotic with some mates about the Gamespot of old (along with your blog I have added jeff's, ryan's & richies...and ofcoure giantbomb!). Certainly hope you keep involved in the biz, as I enjoyed your work and that of the aforementioned peeps. I'm currently playing Commanders Attack on XBLA!! Work is keeping me busy, so arcarde games are flavour of the month atm

Unknown said...

Great to hear you on another podcast, it's good stuff. Hope to hear you on the Giant Bombcast some week! I just downloaded Ikaruga and I've forgotten how damn hard it is, but it's hella fun. I've also been enjoying condemned 2.

Anonymous said...

I've been on a big PS2 JRPG kick lately; it's surprising how much you enjoy a genre you thought you were done with after spending so much time away from it.

Also have been popping in Earth Defense Force 2017 in every once in a while, as well as Raw Danger on the PS2. Both are great budget games.

Speaking of podcasts, you should give One Life Left a listen. http://onelifeleft.com/

error 454 said...

Loved the Zork bit! Like yourself I've been busy with multi COD4 on the PC. Other than Puzzle Quest on the DS, I've had a dry spell lately. I'm considering Lost Odyssey for 360, in the mood for some good turn-based action and captivating storyline.

Anonymous said...

Quite a treat getting a double-dose of podcasts featuring you this week. I've actually been playing something you have mentioned in earlier posts and that's Company of Heroes. Even though I'm getting worked, I'm still having fun. It really is a great game.
Bioshock too...I just take a while to get around to stuff sometimes, ya know?

Eduardo Rebouças said...

I really liked seeing you at 1up Yours, Brad. If you happen to go their way in terms of a job after your hiatus, I wouldn't object, since the 1up people are awesome.

Enjoy your vacation!

_eduardo

Milkman519 said...

I'll definitely give the 1UP podcast a listen and I'll check out that Fallout 3 preview when it comes out.

So, now you went to IGN...you went to 1UP...Only one place left. I'll give you a hint. It's starts with a "Giant". And it ends with a "Bomb".

Anonymous said...

I've been playing WoW. And CoD 4. So... not sure I can help you there. Unless you can get pumped about a 20th alt or something.

God that game sucks. Wonder how my auctions did....

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with playing COD4 to death, Brad, but my hot tip for a game that is wrthy of your atention and which you might not have payed is Zack and Wiki for the Wii. The game is just a ridiculous amount of fun, and a nice cange of pace to shotting dudes in the face.

Victor said...

Ikaruga on XBLA. If you like space shooters, then this is arguably the greatest and most innovative vertical scrolling shooter in a long time.

Bobby Perrotti said...

Me and many MANY others want to hear your mellifluous voice over on the Giant Bombcast! Go be a regular contributor over there and help create the video game review site that we all want!

Unknown said...

Stuck on the amusement park lvl of the COD4 single player campaign. Getting my arse kicked over and over again. May be time to check out the guide.

Anonymous said...

Well, you seem like a well-seasoned game enjoyee, so i'll present a few, lesser known options.

Seven Kingdoms II:
The sequel may have blown ass, but the Seven Kingdoms II was the height of that once proud franchise. A delightful mix of differing RTS playstyles, ranging from pseudo empire-building to downright Zerging. A breath of fresh (old) air.

Sword of the Stars:
Perhaps you've heard of this one, I f you have not, here's the scoop: It's essentialy an old school 4X space strategy game, but minus all the tedious crap. If your into these type of games, I need not say more.

Savage 2:
A relativly new entry into what is most definatly a crowded genre, Savage 2 is a first person shooter that effectivly (to me, at least) blends third person RPG-style gameplay with solid first person action. Or vice-versa, depending on your preference. On top of that, it also throws in a hefty amount of RTS mechanics. Hard to explain, google it.

Anonymous said...

Brad, you did great on the IGN podcast. It was great to hear so many different takes on how to get into the industry. I'm still writing on my blog and hoping eventually I'll be able to do some freelance work or something, someday...

I'd love for you to check it out if you get a chance! www.playerFIVE.com

Anyway, lately I've been playing a lot of old school stuff on XBLA: Root Beer Tapper, Doom, Street Fighter II... I'll probably download Ikaruga tonight. I'm really on a kind of casual games kick, so N+ has been fun too.

Anonymous said...

Just play CoD4 for the next 2 1/2 weeks (coming soon to a theater near you starring Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger) until GTA IV comes out, then you can just play that until the rapture comes, that's my plan :D

Mathew Ballard said...

I've been playing MLB 2K8. As a result I've had to write two articles on some of the happenings with the game. And I just got a 360 about a month ago I've also been playing Call of Duty 2.

Anonymous said...

nice to hear your still alive and well out there brad hope one day to hear you on GiantBomb.com.

ive been playing:

Gran Turismo 5: Prolouge (i live in the UK)

and i also have been playing a hell of alot of Resident evil

Caro said...

I'm playing mad amounts of NHL 08. That game is ridiculous, and I'm not even a sports fan.

Matthew said...

Yo Brad!

I feel happy for you that you are still into gaming! You still deliver the great stuff we love! Keep up all the great work!

Anonymous said...

HEard you mention < b >Company of Heroes< b > in one of the podcasts you were recently on and must say that's an excellent endeavor. I always found RTS games to be quite intimidating but decided to give it a try due to its high praise. I suck at the game but it's still fun.

vince said...

Hey Brad, I enjoy reading your blog! Keep it because you definitely have a bunch of fans out there! :)

Anonymous said...

I too am all about the Call of Duty 4 and Team Deathmatch is all I play. Its so great, I honestly can't get enough!

Anonymous said...

Very good, Brad, but brick don't hit back.

You are necks.

Anonymous said...

Did you say you jumped into a room with a bunch of dudes?